By John Lunn 1953
in the carthouses of Lowton workhouse " for the employment of poor nailors," who came mainly from the Atherton and Shakerley districts. The powerful rise of coal and cotton after 1840 made it more attractive for workers to earn their livelihood by a new allegiance rather than stay in a traditional line. The age-old art of nailmaking in Shakerley at the present time is wholly extinct: in Atherton its place has been inherited with the nut and bolt industry.
Davenport House, c. 1800
Close to Davenports was built about this time Davenport house; then a superior domicile for superior people. In 1825, Mrs. Ditchfield lived here and in 1838, Thomas Charlton. An area of some two-and-a-half Cheshire acres was put to the house. Much later in the same century Atherton Selby resided here, and in 1871 the first Wesleyan minister in Tyldesley, John Saul, took up the tenancy.
Pear Tree House, 1800
At the beginning of the 19th c. a farm of this name belonged to William Speakman and fronted to Mort Lane; it was nine Cheshire acres in size. Jane Speakman lived at it in 1838 and died there on November 18, 1849. She also owned Morts Farm, Mill Brow, the Lower Bank, and the Higher Bank, small freeholds of some four-six Cheshire acres. About the mid-century a substantial house behind a row of impressive beeches facing Sale Lane was built, and John Holland was living there in 1858. This house and the surrounding estates were purchased by John Brown, who died in 1878. His widow, Margaret, leased the lower seams of coal to the Tyldesley Coal Co. Ltd., whose company later acquired the Bank House farms. The last of the Browns to live in the great house was Fanny Brown, who died in 1935. Soon after, the buildings were demolished and the site re-developed.
New Manchester, 1803
The early prosperity of this remote corner of the township depended on the Burgess Land and Mathers Field coal pits, a prosperity inherited at the present time by the Mosley Common Collieries. Miners used to walk in the early days of the industry great distances on foot to their outlandish shafts. At a later period rows of cottages were built to house them, and these workers, coming in from strange parts, gave non-traditional names to their new surroundings. In this way, New Manchester, the City, and Shude Hill arose, names which had little historical association with the landscape on which they were imposed. New Manchester was so known in 1803: it bade fair almost to become a mock corporation. Philip Barlow, Lord Mayor, died there December 13, 1805.