A Short History of the Township of Tyldesley


         


the Consolidated Bank of Manchester, in Lower Elliott Street, under the agent, Thomas Cotton. The Bank of Bolton later became the Manchester and County Bank, now the District Bank in Elliott Street, and the Consolidated Bank was known as Parr's Bank and is now the Westminster Bank with premises at the top of High Street. The Union Bank of Manchester in course of time established sub-branches at Astley and Boothstown, and in 1940 amalgamated with Barclays group.

The Square, 1877

When Thomas Johnson gave a piece of Crossfield for the erection of Top Chapel the boundary on the north side was set back some distance from the highway, with the idea of allowing access of the carriages of the genteel, who resorted there. In 1825 his nephew leased the land on the other side of the highway for the building of the Star and Garter. A similar provision for the post coaches caused this inn to be well set back from Elliott Street, but the land remained private property. In time, as the township grew this open space proved convenient for a market place for all the neighbourhood. People came from afar off to show their wares and were ready to pay a rent for the privilege of opening out a stall, quite apart from the fee charged for the hire of the stall itself and light in winter. In time an inevitable conflict of rights arose. On September 12, 1877, the Council bought from Rev. G. T. B. Ormerod the area in front of the chapel and the hotel. A right over an area of six yards wide along the Star and Garter and the house in the square was reserved to these two properties by the deed. The next year the local board claimed jurisdiction over the market place and issued summonses against the owners of stalls, which were not authorised by them. The licensee of the hotel had let the area over which he had rights of access and collected the rent. The dispute went to Kirkdale Sessions: the local board lost the day; they appealed and the appeal was dismissed. In 1880 an agreement was drawn up by which the licensee of the Star could collect all toll from the market stall holders at a fixed rental of £30, which he had to pay to the Council each year. This was a compromise, which worked well during the years that followed.

Private Adventure Schools, 1877

During the 19 c. several schools were established in Tyldesley which were sometimes styled academies, boarding schools, or dames schools. Tyldesley had no free school of its own until 1822, though some of its poor children were admitted to Astley Mort's school. In 1825 there was a school in Davenport Fold run by James Halliwell: its tradition persisted and was inherited by Mrs. Davies's Dames School in 1880, which was located in Davenport House: the daughters of the Wesleyan Minister, Dr. Saul, helped with this school. J.

Page 137


Notes: