A Short History of the Township of Tyldesley


         


estate to the Glaze combined in commending the purchase as ideal for its purpose. The price paid was £12,500.

Strikers Attack Wharton Hall Colliery, February, 1881

Wharton Hall, outside the township limits, had 18 Cheshire acres within Tyldesley. The Hall was for a long time the home of the Morts; the last of the male line, Adam, had two daughters who married Thomas Earle and Richard Gwillym. These sold in 1870 the estate to John Gerrard Potter who formed the Wharton Hall Collieries. There was a gas explosion at this pit in 1877, and in 1879 James Beswick was their manager. In the great strike of 1881 strikers from all over the neighbourhood marched on Wharton Hall Colliery to bring out the blackleg workers. Extra reinforcements of police from the county were drafted to protect the plant, and in a baton charge, Sam Findley, of Atherton, lost his life trying to escape a frontal attack made to disperse the crowd.

The Liberal Club and the Town Hall, 1881

The two great Parliamentary Parties of the 19th century set up substantial buildings as club premises to which they transferred their members. It was on January 6, 1881, that the Liberals saw their new headquarters completed at the top of Well Street. Caleb Wright, assisted by Charles Eckersley, performed the opening ceremony, and there were then some 400 members. A year earlier the Conservatives had launched a similar project; they built their hall on land rear of the Star and Garter, and like the rival club, the building served as party centre. It was here on September 7 during the election campaign of 1885 that Lees Knowles spoke at a meeting under the chairmanship of William Ramsden. Whereas to-day the Conservative Club still functions, the fortunes of the Liberal Club declined with those of the party, and in the early 20th century the membership dropped so much that the club could not carry on. The building, however, took up a new lease of life and purpose, for it was taken over as a town hall and seat of local government. It was in 1924 that Tyldesley Council acquired the beneficial interest in the premises for £2,000.
Original lease, April 2, 1880, G. T. B. Ormerod to Owen Borsay, ironmonger, and John Mather, pawnbroker, both of Elliott Street; rent of £23. C. Wright advanced £1,000 in 1888 on mortgage, which was repaid to his personal representative in 1901. A builder, Robert Latham Martland, took a sub lease of a strip of land at a rent of £6 in 1884. This was assigned in 1894 to Joseph Wallwork. This property had a right of way to the rear, which was surrendered in 1949.

John Mee and the Teetotallers, 1881

Mee was landlord of the Star and Garter. In this year the Sons of Temperance and the Water Drinkers held a propaganda and crusading meeting on the Square at his very doorstep. This was

Page 139


Notes: