A Short History of the Township of Tyldesley


         


The Vicarage at Tyldesley, 1902

Ivy Cottage, opposite the present vicarage, was the house where the first curate lived. Its rateable value in 1838 was £15. 7s. 6d. The second vicar, Richards, was living at Fulwell in 1854 and later at Bank House. Then he went outside his parish to the vicarage of St. Annes, Hindsford, in Lodge Lane, and here lived Lund. In 1896 George T. B. Ormerod offered a site, and when Henry Mere Ormerod died two years later, he gave £500 towards a new and more convenient house for the vicar. William Ramsden added £150 and soon the present vicarage was in course of erection. Cockers of Walkden were the contractors. The paving of the streets round the new house was an extra item, which cost £268.

The School in Upper George Street, 1902

In the nineties of the last century it was recognised that the parish church in Tyldesley could not provide an elementary education for every child that turned to it for help within the township. The task was too great. The trustees of Top Chapel rose to the occasion by building a new day school in order to take off the strain on the church schools. The Rev. G. T. B. Ormerod gave an appropriate, convenient site in Upper George Street, and on June 29, 1901, Charles Eckersley laid the foundation stone. A day school had been attached to this chapel in early days, and Hannah France, Miss Atkin, and Betsy C. Smethurst, teaching in 1853, are among those pioneers whose names have been remembered. The cost of the building was met by public subscriptions raised in the name of the chapel congregation. In its early days the school was known as the British school. Later it became a council school, but the chapel continued to receive a yearly rent. George Beddow, a native of Pembrokeshire, was the first headmaster; he retired in 1926. Afterwards the school was subject to a deal of reorganisation and the elder boys were transferred to Garratt Hall School and the senior girls to Lower Elliott Street. It is now a junior mixed school. Thomas Aspinall was head to the year of his death in 1943; he was succeeded by Harry Latham.

The Church House, 1905

A Church House was first planned in 1901 and a list of subscriptions opened. Money came in slowly and William Ramsden gave £150 to speed the project up. The Ormerods generously gave the site in Lemon Street, and Joseph Ramsden, as his father was dead, laid the foundation stone. Its original cost was computed at £1,800, but this was exceeded. The building was ready by 1905 and R. J. Clegg opened it. Herbert Wallwork was its secretary to the year 1914, when he was succeeded by Ben Pearson. In its first year the house made a profit of £30. Trouble arose in 1925 with vicar Fleming over the right, which he claimed for the incumbent,

Page 149


Notes: