Edward Tyldesley 1635-1685

Edward Tyldesley was the eldest son of Sir Thomas Tyldesley and Frances Standish. Born in 1635 he married twice. His first wife was Anne Fleetwood, daughter of Sir Thomas Fleetwood of Colwich and Gertrude Eyre. The marriage took place on 26 November 1655 at Ellastone, near Uttoxeter. Edward and Anne had nine children:

  • Thomas Tyldesley (the Diarist)
  • Edward Tyldesley
  • Frances Tyldesley
  • Anna Maria Tyldesley
  • Dorothy Tyldesley
  • Adam Tyldesley
  • Edward Tyldesley
  • Mary Tyldesley
  • James Tyldesley

Anne died and was buried at Garstang on 10 March 1667.

Edward's second wife was Elizabeth Beaumont, daughter of Adam Beaumont of Whiteley and Elizabeth Ashton. Edward and Elizabeth had a daughter, Catherine Tyldesley.

Soon after the restoration in 1660, Charles determined to create a new order of knighthood, to be called the " Royal Oak," as a reward to some of the more distinguished of his faithful adherents. Edward Tyldesley was amongst those selected for the honour. Each member of the order was required to possess a certain amount in land. The value of of each intended recipient's estate is annexed to his name in a list from the manuscripts of Peter le Neve, Norroy. Collins, in his Baronetcy (1741), states that it was intended that the knights of the order should wear a silver medal with a device of the King in the oak, pendant to a ribbon, about their necks; but, he adds, it was thought proper to lay it aside:

lest it might create heats and animosities, and open those wounds afresh which at that time were thought prudent should be healed.

Edward Tyldesley is believed to have been one of the English embassy sent out to Lisbon in 1662 to bring Catharine of Braganza to London for her marriage to King Charles II.

On 1 October 1667 Edward Tyldesley is found writing to Samuel Pepys. As secretary to the Admiralty, Pepys was seeking oak forests to build ships. Edward Tyldesley reported that there was a fine show of such timber at Foudray Pile.

Edward Tyldesley built Fox Hall, the first significant building on the then deserted coastline which is now known as Blackpool. Fishwick gives further detail:

It was originally a small three-gabled building, with a small tower at one side of it. The walls were made of sea-shore cobble stones, and were of great thickness. Over the main entrance was engraved " Seris factura nepotibus," a motto which Edward Tyldesley expected would be his own, as his name was down on the list of " Knights of the Royal Oak," which Charles II. at one time proposed to create as a means of rewarding the faithful supporters of the Stuarts. Over the south gateway was inserted a stone on which was chiselled a pelican feeding her young, round which was inscribed “Tantum valet amor regiae et patriae." Inside the hall was a priest's hiding place, long known as the "king's cupboard," tradition saying that it was erected for King James (who, however, never came there) during the plots of 1690 and 1694. During the rebellion of 1715 Fox Hall was a private rendezvous for Popish recusants.

The name Fox Hall derives from the custom of the Tyldesleys of keeping a fox chained in the entrance to the property. Edward's son, Thomas Tyldesley, records buying a fox cub in his diary entry for 4 June 1713:

4 June 1713 —Went to Aldclife; pd 1s. pro 2 samon mortts, and gave 2s. 6d. pro a ffox cub.

References
  1. The History of the Parish of Bispham in the County of Lancaster, Henry Fishwick, 1887.